Monday, May 22, 2006

It's Your World Too...

As many of you know I consistently listen to talk radio. Yes, I know that this is the bastion of conservative thought and one of the driving forces behind the resurgent conservative revolution of the past few years. And, yes, I am still a liberal minded Democrat, who holds the Bush Administration in the strongest of contempt. So why then do I listen? The answer is simple, I am a liberal. See to me, being a liberal does not mean that I support communist, want to kill babies, or believe our tax rates should rival those in Europe. No, being a liberal means that I can keep an open mind and hear more than one side of an issue. It seems that this is increasingly becoming a mind-set that Americans try to avoid. Why should I turn on Fox news when I can watch CNN? Why should I buy the New York Times when Rush Limbaugh tells me everything I need to know? Why should I read the entire ballot when I can just vote the party ticket???

It is an unfortunate by-product of the two party system I suppose, nonetheless, a very scary evolution. What happened to critical thought, why do we not take the time to educate ourselves? I can attribute this lack of action by the citizen public to two main reasons; laziness and complete and total apathy.

Yes, I said it, we as Americans are overwhelmingly lazy. We are a push button society. We believe in instant everything, automatic vehicles, nanny's, housekeepers, and personal assistants. We prefer diet pills to working out, email to actual conversation, and have found a way to accomplish virtually anything from our own couch. So why should we take the time to involve ourselves in the political process? It takes effort, we would have to be educated on the issues, read about the candidates, and analyze different ideas. Yes, being politically active takes some initiative, and at minimum a desire to understand the world around you.

The second problem of the American politic is not nearly as easily solved as the first; apathy. I see and hear examples of this almost everyday. In fact most of my friends and family cannot understand why I want to be so engaged in the political process. It is not that they don't understand politics, it is that they really don't believe that they can have any effect on policy. It is the ownership principle: people care about things that they have ownership in. If you want evidence to support this theory, simply drive down your own street. Which houses have the nicest lawns, the freshest paint, and the most colorful flower beds? I would be willing to bet it is not the rental houses.

Our selfish human nature tells us to take time, pay attention to, and work to improve things that we own. There is nothing wrong with this attitude, except when we fail to realize the true scope of our dominion. It is people like me and you who make up the local school boards, city councils, state legislatures, and ultimately the congress of the United States. And here is the scary part; those people are making decisions that do effect your life! Let me say it again, politics effects you, each and every one of you! From how much you pay in taxes, to where you can live, who you can marry, and what country you may be asked to fight against, politics effects you. To sit back and say that you cannot affect what goes on in the world around you is choosing to be the ultimate victim. Revolution after revolution has proven the power of the people. It is easy to sit back and complain when you are not a part of the process. This is the epitome of Monday night quarterbacking. So next time things aren't going the way you would like you only have one question to ask yourself: Was I too lazy, or did I just not care?

No comments: