Sunday, September 07, 2008

Didn't We Already Win This War???

So as I set watching the Republican National Convention last week I became a bit confused and disoriented. See it seemed that no less than five major speakers at the convention (including McCain, Palin, and Giuliani) utilized the increasingly popular phrase "He wants to end the war; we want to win the war". As this hollow platitude rattled around in my almost hollow head, my vision began to blur and the world around me started to spin. Shortly there after I heard some strange music and I realized that I was in fact a part of one of those cheesy seventies-style television flashbacks. As my vision began to clear and the room stopped spinning, I found myself seated on my old futon in my cramped little third floor walk-up (good thing that in the last five years I have upgraded to a less cramped third floor walk-up). As I frantically sought to regain my bearings and understand how I had been transported back in time, I reached for the USA Today sitting on the floor in front of me. To my astonishment the date read May 1, 2003.

Thinking that perhaps this was some sort of bad dream (or at the very least that the scotch I drank last night was potent stuff), I instinctively reached for the television remote. Perhaps I could find Fox News, or better yet a reputable news channel that could give me some insight into what was happening and how I had been transported back in time. As I flipped through the channels I happened upon the Cable News Network. Right there on the screen in brilliant Technicolor and with real time audio stood George W. Bush, his hair blowing in the gentle breeze onboard the deck of the USS Abraham Lincoln. As I listed to the audio emanating from my 19" monitor I began to recognize the remarks...

"The battle of Iraq is one victory in a war on terror that began on September the 11th, 2001 and still goes on.....

In the Battle of Iraq, the United States and our allies have prevailed."

As I sat and watched this monumental speech, touting our accomplishment in ridding a nation of an evil dictator and in the process making our country safer (okay so I never really got that part, and even during my transportation back through the space time continuum I am still unsure how invading a country that posed less of a threat to the United States then the Spice Girl Invasion makes us any safer here at home) and advancing freedom throughout the world, (Note to future world leaders: the best way to advance freedom is to invade and occupy another sovereign country and utilize military force to impose democracy) I couldn't help but notice the massive "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" banner strung along the impressive ship. In the media hype and carefully choreographed presentation I felt a swelling of pride in my chest, the anticipation of hope for the future, and the awe in the great ability of the greatest military power in the world. Just then something strange happened. The world began to contort yet again, my vision becoming increasingly blurry, and before I knew what had happened I was yet again sitting on my couch listening to Rudy Giuliani the oft divorced, morally questionable leader of nothing berate the Democratic Nominee for the Presidency because he took the time to serve as a community organizer.

As I regained my composure following my sitcom style flashback, several questions came to mind: Why do we need to win a war when our mission was already accomplished? What does winning a war versus ending a war even mean? When we win will we get a trophy (maybe a cross between Lord Stanley's Cup and the Lombardi Trophy?) Will we be able to text message in our votes for MVP? Does the winning team get to visit Disney World or have a ticker-tape parade down Broadway?

Wait, we are talking about a war not a sporting event. A war that should have never been fought, and certainly can't be won. We are fighting a war not against a state, but against rogue thugs, religious fanatics, and the same ordinary citizens who we came to "liberate". I am all for supporting a "Victory" in Iraq, but it seems that no one can paint a picture of what that will actually look like. So in lieu of said victory I will be happy to settle for us getting our 140,000 sons, daughters, wives, and husbands back on American soil. I am also good with us saving the $10 billion dollars a month we currently spend in the Iraqi sandbox. Now being that this has already been a long post I will delay my thoughts on how to better spend these funds for a later date...to be continued....

No comments: